Instagram

.

.

We thank you for taking the time to visit our blog.

My husband and I are a young, growing, Christian, military family. My husband is a Captain in The United States Marine Corps. I am a former Elementary school teacher. We are first time parents to a beautiful little two year old boy, with twin boys on the way! I am a stay at home Marine wife, who loves to bake, cook, sew and craft! I enjoy being a Domestic Engineer. The purpose of this blog is to document the story of our life and adventures as they take place.


We are honored to be serving our country and ask for prayer in our upcoming adventures. We have been blessed tremendously, and thank God everyday for all he has given us!

.


.

.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A Teach Me Tuesday Recipe

I am just sitting down to write my Teach Me Tuesday post. I am sorry it is late my dear readers, it was a busy day! My little one is asleep, dinner is put away, the dishwasher is running and I have a moment of "me time".

Tonight, I tried this wonderful recipe for dinner! The hungry Marine and I thought it was most delicious! I found the original recipe from a fabulous cooking blog called Clockwork Lemon, please click here to check out Clockwork Lemon for yourself! http://www.clockworklemon.com/



Look at this gloriously cheesy meal!!


Talk about comfort food!!!


This photo is courtesy of Clockworklemon.com.


Corn, Tomato, and Cheddar Pie

(from Smitten Kitchen)

Pie Crust

2 cups flour

1 TBSP baking powder

3/4 Tsp Salt

6 TBSP (3 ounces) cold butter cut into cubes or grated and then frozen

3/4 cup whole milk

Pie Filling

1 3/4 pounds tomatoes (preferably beefsteak)

1 1/2 cups corn from about three ears of corn roughly chopped

3 TBSP chopped chives

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

7 ounces sharp cheddar cheese (about 1 3/4 cups)

1/3 cup mayo

2 TBSP fresh lemon juice

2 TBSP melted butter for brushing on the crust



Preheat oven to 400

1. Make dough for crust

Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Cut in the cold butter either with a pastry cutter or a fork until combined and crumbly. Stir in the milk with a fork until the dough comes together. Form in a ball and place in the fridge to chill while you prepare the filling.

2. Prep Filling

Slice the tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices. To avoid a soggy crust de-seed about 75% of the slices by pushing out the goop and seeds.

Whisk the mayo and lemon juice together

Chop the chives, grate the cheese, and have the corn ready.

3. Roll out and fill the pie

Divide the dough in half, wrap one half back in plastic wrap and put back in the fridge.

On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough into a 12 inch round. Place in a 9 inch pie plate.

Layer half the tomatoes, then half the corn, half the chives. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt and some pepper. Layer half the cheese on top.

Repeat: remaining tomatoes, remaining corn, remaining chives, 1/2 tsp salt, pepper. Drizzle with lemon mayo and then top with remaining cheese.

Roll out top crust and either cut out vents with a cookie cutter or a knife. Crimp the edges and brush with the 2 tablespoons of butter. Bake in the 400 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.

Cool on a rack and serve either warm or at room temperature


Making Baby FOOD




Whenever I think of making baby food, I am reminded of Diane Keaton in the movie Baby Boom. I LOVE that move . . .you know the one right? It's the movie where the big shot, executive business woman moves to the country (after inheriting a baby) and starts making her own baby food! Well, if you don't know the movie . . .Rent it this weekend, I think you will enjoy it !



Earlier this evening, I tried my hand at making baby food for Robbie. He has been eating rice cereal and now sweet potatoes. My husband's sweet Grandmother gave me a cookbook with all sorts of baby food recipes! I don't like the idea of giving Robert processed canned baby food. I would like to offer him fresh, homemade food. So,tonight I whipped out my food processor and freezer bags and went to town!! I apologize for the poor quality of my photos. I left my camera a my Mom's house. . . so, my cell phone photos will have to do until this weekend.


The final product, 1 sweet potato= 5 two ounce bags of baby food. Not bad! :)




Blessings,

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I found these great storage cups to put fresh baby food in and you can freeze in them too. I think they are about $6 for a set of 4 and it comes with a tray to hold them in the freezer. Munchkin makes them. I plan to get some for Brayden's stocking for Christmas because I too would like to make fresh baby food some. I put the link below if you are interested. You might be able to find something cheaper though. Have fun and good luck!

http://www.munchkin.com/fresh-food-freezer-cups

ASHTON said...

I made baby food for the first time with Gideon and it saved us so much money!! It was really important to me that he eat organic (or at least non-sprayed) food and we bought a ton of veggies at the farmer's market to use. I made it in the blender, froze in ice cube trays and then put them in ziplocks. I'm sure you've heard of that before! It sure did make for an easy way to store it and reheat it. Have fun! A website I really liked was www.wholesomebabyfood.com.

Baby Slings at Nurtured Family