Instagram

.

.

We thank you for taking the time to visit our blog.

My husband and I are a young, growing, Christian, military family. My husband is a Captain in The United States Marine Corps. I am a former Elementary school teacher. We are first time parents to a beautiful little two year old boy, with twin boys on the way! I am a stay at home Marine wife, who loves to bake, cook, sew and craft! I enjoy being a Domestic Engineer. The purpose of this blog is to document the story of our life and adventures as they take place.


We are honored to be serving our country and ask for prayer in our upcoming adventures. We have been blessed tremendously, and thank God everyday for all he has given us!

.


.

.

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Weekend Tidbits and Good Reads



It is always so pleasant to have a long holiday weekend at home! This past weekend, we stayed home mostly and worked on small projects around the house, watched movies, went to the park and enjoyed the company of Grandma and Grandpa Christensen during their visit on Sunday. I took everything from every drawer out of our fridge and gave it all a good deep cleaning. I decided to designate one of the bottom drawers in the fridge just for Robbie's snacks. Little Mr. Robbie was so excited to have his new drawer. We filled it with healthy snacks like yogurt and little baggies filled with sliced grapes and Mandarin oranges. The best part of his little drawer is that he can now go into the fridge and grab his own snack when he needs one, with permission of course. :)



It is only January 20th, the year is fresh and new and yet, I already feel a bit exhausted from all that has happened to us in just twenty short days. I will go into a little more detail tomorrow once we know more, but my Dad was hospitalized yesterday because of chest pains. The hospital is running many different blood tests, checking enzymes, performing stress tests and echo cardiograms. Please keep him in your prayers today.



My plate is quite full for the reminder of this month and most of next month. Somehow, bit by bit, doctor appointments, meetings with attorneys, Junior League commitments, Soccer and more, slowly make their way onto my plate. Which is beginning to feel a little too full.
It is at moments like this that I step back, re-prioritize and focus on what really matters most... my family. I am then rejuvintated at the thought of what  I truly love and want to focus my best efforts on... mothering, homeschooling, living.




We took Robbie to see his very first movie at the movie theatre on Friday evening. We took him to see Paddington, the story of Paddington Bear... you know the cute little English bear who wears a beautiful blue coat, a floppy red hat and rain boots?  I am pretty picky when it comes to movie choices for my little ones. Rich and I watched the previews for the movie ahead of time and decided that it was a good fit for our family.




Reading ...


The painting pictured above makes my heart happy. So cozy, warm and inviting. This is how Rich and I have been spending our evenings, once the children have gone to bed. Rich has so much reading during this second semester of law school. Usually, I am snuggled-up with a good read that includes some sort of parenting book, a hobby book or something that betters my soul. Poor Rich is usually reading something a lot less interesting, (From my perspective anyway), like Tort Law.

Here are a few books on my reading list over the next month or so.


Oh my goodness, I am so excited about this book that I can hardly contain myself! I recently ordered this book and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival!
I feel the contents of this book is best described by this brief synopsis...

"Many of us with busy families yearn for a slower and simpler life with our kids—one that is connected to the seasons and the natural rhythm of the year, one that has our children spending more time out of doors rather than in, one that balances out some of the busyness of our lives—the computers, the televisions, the cell phones—with a deeper connection to the Earth and an appreciation for and understanding of the natural world. The Rhythm of Family is a guide to living such a life for any family.

Following the course of a year through the passing of the seasons, this book explores the ways we can create deep family connections and meaningful memories through living in tune with the cycles of nature. From stomping around in mud boots in the spring to gathering around the woodstove in winter, our activities naturally change from season to season—from the rhythms of the seasons comes the rhythms in our homes, our hearts, our families, and our every day. Paying attention to these changes slows us down, inspires new types of creative play and exploration, instills a sense of family togetherness, and deepens an awareness of nature and self that can make our lives, days, family, and earth grow stronger.

The Rhythm of Family explores what we learn and can gain as parents and families by encouraging and experiencing creativity and nature exploration with our children, the seasons can provide us with a rhythm that brings us close to the earth, and closer to our children."

I am currently reading...


Something that is so important for all parents to learn. Ahh the simple life. :)

Finally, a book for the whole family to enjoy, ( especially the wee ones).

The Cozy Book

This book is a good choice for lap-time sharing.

"From waking up until bedtime, a cozy day unfolds - from tastes ("Melted cheese that's nice and runny/Fresh-baked muffins dripping honey") to smells ("Fresh-dug earth/New-mown hay/New-cut grass/New-born day") to sounds ("The gurgle that a gargle makes/The giggle when a tickle takes") to words, places, people, feelings, and finally going to sleep ("Droopy/Drifty/ Drowsy/Dozy/Dream of everything that's cozy"). "

Homeschooling...

Speaking of the wee little ones, I am FINALLY (and I say finally with a huge sigh of relief), starting to get on the homeschool train with a three year old and twin babies. I have come to love the idea of homeschooling as a family at our dining room table, usually with a baby or two in a high chair watching and babbling away. I have grown to love going through Robbie's Spanish flash cards with him in our family room.  Homeschool is exactly that, schooling that takes place in and around our home! So simple! I love that we have been going for nature walks in the afternoons and reading storied all snuggled and tucked away in Robbie's new bunk bed  reading nook. ( Yes, I said bunk bed... a post on that to follow soon!). Good things are happening in our home, educational, fun, memory making kinds of things! :)


Above is a picture of Robbie working on Spindle Boxes this morning.
It was a long, late night with us all concerned about Grandpa so, yes... school time was done in our jammies this morning! ;)


Jacob loves to play with his blocks during school time!
I think Joey must have fallen asleep.


Here Robbie is, working on more counting skills this morning.


Well friends nap time is almost over and soon it will be time to start dinner.
Have a glorious day !

No comments:

Baby Slings at Nurtured Family