We thank you for taking the time to visit our blog.

My husband and I are a young, growing, Christian, military family. My husband is a Captain in The United States Marine Corps. I am a former Elementary school teacher. We are first time parents to a beautiful little two year old boy, with twin boys on the way! I am a stay at home Marine wife, who loves to bake, cook, sew and craft! I enjoy being a Domestic Engineer. The purpose of this blog is to document the story of our life and adventures as they take place.

We are honored to be serving our country and ask for prayer in our upcoming adventures. We have been blessed tremendously, and thank God everyday for all he has given us!




Friday, May 20, 2011

Baby Robert's Birthday Story

It all started early one beautiful spring morning two weeks ago. I awoke at 5:00 a.m on Thursday May 5th, 2011. I was having contractions that woke me from my sleep. I quickly woke my husband who was just getting up and ready to leave for work. At this point my contractions were not horrible and were actually manageable. Rich and I timed them and they were quite sporadic.

My parents were staying with us waiting for Robert to arrive. So, Rich went on to work and asked me to call him when I was able to time the distance between contractions. This being our first baby I wasn't sure at first if what I was feeling was indeed a contraction. I was blessed to have had my parents staying with us at the time.

Well, sure enough Rich had not even made it 15 minutes from the house when the big one hit! There was no doubt in my mind at that point that I was in fact in labor and those pains I had feltt earlier were contractions. The contractions were now to the point where I couldn't talk through them and they were about 6 minutes apart. My Mom called Rich. He was back home in ten minutes and we were off to the hospital to have our baby!

When we arrived at the hospital It was confirmed I was in active labor and was 6 1/2 to 7 cm dilated about 100 % effaced. Yay!!! I can remember just a flood of emotions coming over me. Excitement, nervous but most of all pure joy!

Getting ready to check in to the hospital

The what seemed like endless elevator ride to Labor and Delivery. I'm having a contraction in this pic and starting to feel like and epidural might be a good idea. ;)

The nurse admitted me and got me settled into a room. I received an epidural around 7 to 7 1/2 cm. Let me tell you ladies I loved the epidural!! The pain subsided and it was as if I were having lunch with a good friend! Life was good again! :) I had planned on an epidural throughout the entire pregnancy with no shame. I did not want any narcotics but an epidural for me was definitely the way to go. I checked into the hospital around 6:30 7:00 am it was now around 8:00 or 8:30. The nurses and doctor told me I would labor to 10 cm and probably have this baby in a few hours and most likely before lunch time! I remember thinking to myself I can do this. My husband. Mom, Dad and best friend Summer were all in the room with me while I labored up until I started to push. When it was pushing time only Rich and my Mom were present.

My Mom during the labor

My best friend Summer

My wonderful hubby Rich. I couldn't have made it through without him!

Around 1:00 p.m I was 10 cm complete and ready to push! Yay! I thought to myself the big moment is finally here!! I began to push and continued to push for the next 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Somewhere around the start of hour 2 my epidural began to wear off and I was feeling EVERYTHING!! At the end of the third straight hour of pushing my doctor came in to check on my progress. While examining me she asked for an ultrasound machine. During the ultrasound exam she discovered that baby Robert was not able to fully come out because although he was head down he was sunny side up meaning he was facing upward instead of down.

Dr. Kong said she could try to vacuum him out to move the process along. At this point I was absolutely exhausted and was ready to meet my baby. They tried the vacuum and were unsuccessful, Robert had made up his mind he wasn't budging. Dr. Kong informed us that the only thing left to do was an emergency C-section and quick!!! My water had been broken hours before, Robert's heart rate was still stable and excellent never wavering or showing signs of distress. Well, by now I was in so much pain I welcomed the C-section. Before I knew it there were 3 doctors in my room and 4 nurses. Everyone was busily running around prepping me for surgery. My Mom was sent to the waiting area and Rich was getting dressed in his scrubs.

All throughout labor and pushing I would glance over at what would soon be Robert's birth certificate and baby GPS. Great motivation!

The C-Section begins

They then wheeled me into the operating room and I was going to see my baby in a matter of minutes! I can remember lying there listening to the sound of machines beeping, doctors talking and my husband's sweet words of encouragement. Nothing could prepare me for the most beautiful sound in the world which I was about to hear. The sound of my son's precious cry.

As soon as he was out Robert began to cry. As I laid there I had tears of joy streaming down my face. They held my son up for me to see. I was already in love the moment I laid eyes on this perfect little person the Lord had blessed us with. This little boy who I had carried inside of my tummy for 9 months was now a reality. He had a face I could touch and see. All of my hopes and dreams for this child came true. I had a healthy baby boy. In that moment I knew my life would never be the same again. Nothing mattered more to me. The doctors let Rich cut Robert's cord and I was starting to feel pain as the spinal started to wear off. My blood pressure started dropping very low and I was losing a lot of blood. Robert was taken into meet our family. I was put under as I was put back together and Rich my wonderful husband was by my side the entire time.

Hearing the sound of my baby boy's first cry!!

Rich cutting the cord

Rich was so calm.

Robert's little feet. I have many memories of these kicky little feet during my pregnancy! So happy he has 10 fingers and 10 toes ! :)

He was 8 lbs 15 oz!!!!

My sweet doctor. Doctor Kong! Dr. Kong is pregnant and due in just a few weeks!

Later, in recovery I was able to hold, rock and nurse my beautiful baby boy. The Lord is so good! I praise him for this child. I know Robert is not mine he is the Lord's child who has been in trusted to us. I will do my best to bring him up in the way of the Lord. I thank you all for your prayers, words of wisdom and sweet comments. I am in baby heaven and loving every moment of it! :)

Robert and Daddy

I love my boys more than anything and I can't imagine my life before them!!!

Waiting to be sent home after our 5 day hospital stay.

I love my precious boy

leaving the hospital

Finally putting our little boy in the car seat

When we came home Grandma Robin (my Mom) had decorated the whole house for Robert! Here was the bow on our front door!

Walking in

Another Welcome home sign for Robert! Thanks Mom!!

Thank you Mom and Dad for staying with us the week after Robert was born! You were both so helpful and we were blessed to have you. :)

My Momma

My Dad

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!


Anonymous said...

Loved the story and the pictures! Congratulations again! We should Skype soon if you're up to it so I can "meet" Robert :)


~Lindsey said...

What a beautiful birth story Sarah!! I'm so glad that everything went well and he is safe and sound!! God Bless you and your family!

Melissa's Thoughts said...

So precious. Your life will never be the same with your little man around. You will experience the greatest love you have ever felt. Congrats on your little one.

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I have been following your wonderful story since Christmas ! May God richly bless you, your husband and this precious new life ! I pray God will continue to hold you all in the palm of His hand. In Jesus' sweet name.

smiley_netta said...

What a sweet story! It brought tears of joy to my eyes. I am so glad that Robert arrived healthy and that you are doing well and enjoying motherhood!