It's Tuesday, which means it is time for a "Teach Me Tuesday" post. Something I haven't done in a while.
Today, I am sharing a Crispy Chiken Bites recipe with you. I actually found this recipe on a recipe swap website for Eating Clean. What does that mean, you ask? Well, eating clean is something my husband and I have started to try to put into practice in our home. It involves learning to treat your body right. It is NOT a diet, but a way of life.
Recently, my husband and I have taken an evaluation of our eating habits and routines and have decided that we want the best nutriton for our family. We feed our baby all natural, no preservatives, organic homemade baby food, why not practice what we preach and pay attention to what we feed ourselves as well!
Eating clean is best described as; " eating the way nature intended. You eat the foods our bodies evolved to function best on, and that makes you feel – and look – fantastic. When you Eat Clean you eat more often. You will eat lean protein, complex carbs, and healthy fats." This is a gradual process. We are slowely working into. We still enjoy some of our favorite treats, but ultimately, we are all bout trying to make better choices.
Here is a fun, family recipe that I made for dinner tonight! It was delicious, super easy and best of all healthy!
Crispy Chicken Bites
DetailsFast-food nuggets have nothing on these delicious morsels. The crispy almond-based coating and yummy honey-mustard sauce will make this quick dish a family favorite in no time.
Ingredients• 3 x 6-oz / 170-g boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• ¼ cup / 60 ml oat bran
• ¼ cup / 60 ml wheat germ
• 1 Tbsp / 15 ml coarsely ground flaxseed
• ¼ cup / 60 ml coarsely ground almonds
• ½ tsp / 2.5 ml sea salt
• ½ tsp / 2.5 ml white pepper
• Pinch garlic powder
• ½ cup / 120 ml water or low-sodium chicken broth
• 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°F / 232°C. Prepare baking sheet by lining with parchment paper or coating lightly with extra virgin olive oil.
- Cut chicken breasts into nugget-sized pieces, about 1½ inches square. Set aside.
- Next, combine all dry ingredients in a large container with a tightly fitting lid. Shake well. This is your coating mixture.
- Combine water and egg in a medium bowl. Dip each piece in the water-egg white mixture. Then dip each piece in the coating mixture. Make sure each piece is well coated.
- Place on the baking sheet. When all of your chicken has been coated and your baking sheet is full, place in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden.
Clean-Eating Honey Mustard Sauce
• 1½ tsp / 7.5 ml honey
• 1 Tbsp / 15 ml Dijon mustard
Nutritional Value per 4 nuggets:
Nutritional Value Per ¾ tsp sauce:
For more kid-friendly, Tosca-approved meal ideas, pick up your copy of The Eat-Clean Diet® for Family and Kids.